Build a Jam, LLC ("BUILD A JAM") recognizes that its customers, visitors, users, members and others who use www.buildajam.com or other web sites owned or operated by BUILD A JAM ("BUILD A JAM Services") (collectively or individually "Users") value their privacy. This Privacy Notice details important information regarding the use and disclosure of User information collected on BUILD A JAM Services. BUILD A JAM provides this Privacy Notice to help you make an informed decision about whether to use or continue using BUILD A JAM Services.
Please note that any video, audio, image, or other content posted at the direction of Users onto the BUILD A JAM Sites becomes published content and is not considered personally identifiable information subject to this Privacy Notice.
BUILD A JAM Collects The Following Information:
1. User Provided Information: You provide certain personally identifiable information (such as your name, age, and email address) to BUILD A JAM when choosing to participate in various activities on BUILD A JAM Services such as creating your officially registered BUILD A JAM Services User profile ("Profile"), uploading music, posting messages, entering contests or sweepstakes, taking advantage of promotions, responding to surveys, or subscribing to newsletters or other mailing lists.
2. Cookies Information: When you visit BUILD A JAM Services, we may send one or more cookies - a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters - to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser. BUILD A JAM uses both session cookies and persistent cookies (persistent cookie remains after you close your browser.) Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser help file directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the BUILD A JAM Sites may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
3. Log File Information: When you use BUILD A JAM Services, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, browser language, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, number of downloads/uploads of myriad content, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
4. Clear GIFs Information: When you use BUILD A JAM Services, we may employ "clear GIFs" (a.k.a. Web Beacons) which are used to track the online usage patterns of our Users anonymously (i.e., in a non-personally-identifiable manner). In addition, we may also use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
BUILD A JAM Uses Information In The Following Way:
1. If you submit personally identifiable information to us through BUILD A JAM Services, then we use your personal information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of BUILD A JAM Services.
2. Any personal information or music content that you voluntarily disclose online becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. Your account name (not your email address) is displayed to other Users when you upload music or send messages through BUILD A JAM Services and other Users can contact you through messages. Any music that you submit to BUILD A JAM Services may be redistributed through the internet and other media channels, and may be heard by the general public.
3. We do not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. We may, however, use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major BUILD A JAM Services changes or for customer service purposes).
4. We use both your personally identifiable information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality and design of BUILD A JAM Services and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences and trends.
6. From time to time, we may contact Users to invite them to participate in usability surveys ("Surveys"). Participation in these surveys is purely voluntary. Typically these Surveys are anonymous and no personal information is requested. However, occasionally, we may request your email address for the purpose of sending you a reward for completing the Survey. No personally identifiable information submitted via the Survey will be shared with people who are not our authorized agents. Data collected through the Survey is used to compile demographic information about our members and to assist us in making improvements to the BUILD A JAM Services.
BUILD A JAM Only Discloses Information When:
2. We do not share your personally identifiable information (such as name or email address) with other, third-party companies for their commercial or marketing use without your consent, except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out.
3. We do share non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform types, number of clicks, number of downloads/uploads etc.) with interested third-parties, including, but limited to Advertisers (as defined below) to assist them in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on BUILD A JAM Services.
4. We may release personally identifiable information and/or non-personally-identifiable information if required to do so by law, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright Law) or respond to a court order, subpoena, or search warrant.
You may, of course, decline to submit personally identifiable information through BUILD A JAM Services, in which case BUILD A JAM may not be able to provide certain services to you. You may update or correct your Profile information and email preferences at any time by visiting your account Profile page. Please note that media files uploaded by Users to BUILD A JAM Services cannot be removed and remain subject to our
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you Profile access or making corrections. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Please contact BUILD A JAM with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice, your personal information, your consent, or your opt-in or opt-out choices by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linking Agreements with Other Sites (Including Third-party Advertisers):
3. BUILD A JAM may permit Advertisers to stream audible advertisements ("Audio Ads") which may be incorporated into streaming (non-downloadable) audio content, including but not limited to, musical compositions posted by you to your Profile on BUILD A JAM Services ("Songs") pursuant to terms directly made between BUILD A JAM and the Advertiser(s).
4. BUILD A JAM also permits Advertisers to serve Audio Ads on any and all downloadable Songs under terms directly made between the User and the Advertiser.
5. All Audio Ads, regardless of whether they are served in streaming or downloadable format, will be subject to BUILD A JAM's Advertisement Guidelines.
BUILD A JAM's Commitment To Security of Data:
BUILD A JAM uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to BUILD A JAM and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, BUILD A JAM makes commercially reasonable efforts to secure our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If BUILD A JAM learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. BUILD A JAM may post a notice on BUILD A JAM Services if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice) you should notify us by emailing email@example.com.
BUILD A JAM's Commitment To Privacy of Children:
Protecting the privacy of young children is very important to us. For that reason, BUILD A JAM does not knowingly collect or maintain personally identifiable information or non-personally-identifiable information on BUILD A JAM Services from persons under 18 years of age, and no part of our website is directed to persons under 18. If you are under 18 years of age, then you are not authorized to use or access BUILD A JAM Services at any time or in any manner. If BUILD A JAM learns that personally identifiable information of persons under 18 years of age has been collected on the BUILD A JAM Sites without verified parental consent, then BUILD A JAM will take the appropriate steps to delete this information and we will restrict this individual from future access to the BUILD A JAM Services.
In the Event of Sale, Merger, Acquisition, or Bankruptcy:
In the event that BUILD A JAM is acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information we have collected from our Users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors' rights generally, we may not be able to control how your personal information is treated, transferred, or used.
Alterations and Updates to this Privacy Notice:
This Privacy Notice may be revised periodically and such modification shall be effective upon posting by EMG on the BUILD A JAM Services and by emailing you via your User account. Please revisit this page to stay aware of any changes. In general, we only use your personal information in the manner described in the Privacy Notice in effect when we received the personal information you provided. Your continued use of BUILD A JAM Services constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Notice and any future revisions.
For revisions to this Privacy Notice that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of the personal information you have already provided to us, we will attempt to obtain your consent before implementing such revisions with respect to such information.
Date Last Modified:
This Privacy Notice was last modified June 21, 2011.
Please contact BUILD A JAM with any questions or comments about this Privacy Notice by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.